The issue of encroachments in the Secunderabad Cantonment jurisdiction area has got serious enough that it was discussed at a meeting between defence officials and director-general of police V Dinesh Reddy on Wednesday. The defence officials confirmed that they sought the police help in eradicating this menace.
Defence estates officer (DEO), AP Circle, A V Dharma Reddy and Secunderabad Cantonment Board (SCB) chief executive officer (CEO) S Balakrishna maintained that the meeting was primarily a courtesy call, but added that other matters were discussed.
“We discussed certain important issues like illegal encroachment on defence land and sought the DGP’s help in protecting it from land sharks,” DEO AV Dharma Reddy told TOI. The DGP, he added, has agreed to extend cooperation to the SCB and also to provide adequate police force as needed.
The DEO said that the menace of illegal land encroachment has grown sharply in the city. Hundreds of acres of defence land in the SCB was being eyed by land sharks he said, adding that some even claimed the land was their ancestral property.
The SCB has launched a drive against unauthorised structures one-and-half month ago. This comes in the wake of the CBI conducting searches to ferret out illegal/unauthorised constructions. However, after the undertaking of this drive, the CEO had received a death-threat. So far, the SCB demolished nearly 100 illegal structures during the drive.